Tuesday 22 October 2019

Tubular Structures in the Ediacaran Drummond Sequence in Lanark County, Ontario

In my March blog postings I reported finding the Ediacaran fossil Aspidella together with  Ediacaran fronds and various microbial mat structures, in sedimentary rocks northeast of Perth, Ontario that I designated  the Drummond Sequence.   Below  are two of the more convincing photographs.





As noted in earlier posts, I believe that there is at most a thin veneer of lower Ordovician March Formation at the top of the Drummond Sequence and that most of the rocks in the sequence are Ediacaran in age. 

I looked through my collection of photographs from the Drummond Sequence for slabs with a similar style of preservation to that shown in the first of the above two photographs.   Below is  one such photograph showing tubular structures together with an enlarged extract from the photo.


I believe that the photographs shows an Ediacaran tubular fossil rather than stalks, but this is not clear.

Below are two photos of another slab displaying the same style of preservation.


Again it is not clear whether the tubular structures represent tubular fossils or stalks.

Similar tubes are shown below in a different mode of preservation:



Christopher Brett
Perth, Ontario

No comments:

Post a Comment